SI “Institute of Environmental Geochemistry of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine” (IEG) is a leading scientific institution in the field of environmental and radiation safety, which is world-renowned and works closely with many research centers in Ukraine and abroad.
The Institute is the legal successor of the State Research Center for Environmental Radiogeochemistry, established in 1996 on the basis of the Department of Environmental Radiogeochemistry and the Department of Metallogeny of the Institute of Geochemistry, Mineralogy and Ore Formation of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. Since 2004, the Institute has been a part of the Department of Nuclear Physics and Energy of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
The Institute conducts basic and applied research in the following main scientific areas:
- Geochemistry, radiogeochemistry and cosmochemistry;
- Technogenic and ecological safety;
- Ore formation and minerageny;
- Scientific support of the nuclear fuel cycle;
- Mathematical modeling and forecasting of natural and man-made processes;
- Instrument making in the field of nuclear, radiation and environmental safety.
The structure of the Institute has 6 research departments and one department with three laboratories.
The staff of the Institute consists of about 200 people, including 16 doctors (including 3 corresponding members of the NAS of Ukraine) and 45 candidates of science.
At the Institute there are:
- three self-supporting enterprises: Kyiv Research and Production Association “Environmental Technologies and Standards”, State Small Research and Production Enterprise “Renaissance” and SE “Ecoinform”;
- two specialized scientific councils with the right to defend dissertations for the degree of doctor and candidate of geological sciences, as well as doctoral and postgraduate studies;
- Interdepartmental Scientific Council on Radioactive Waste Management (RWM) under the Presidium of the NAS of Ukraine and the Committee on Meteorites at the Department of Earth Sciences of the Presidium of the NAS of Ukraine;
scientific and educational public organization Ukrainian branch of the international union “Human Ecology”;
- branch of the Department of Ecology of the National Aviation University of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine;
- the Department of Ecology is joint with the Institute of Land Management and Information Technologies at the National Aviation University;
- Center for Collective Use of Unique Scientific Instruments of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine “Mineralogical and Geochemical Research”.
The institute has a state license to conduct geological, hydrogeological, engineering-geological, ecological-geological and laboratory works.
The laboratory base of the Institute has state accreditation. It includes a set of analytical equipment for the analysis of toxic, heavy and radioactive elements. Radiogeochemical and biogeochemical laboratories are state accredited.
Since 2000 he has been publishing the Collection of Scientific Papers of the State Institution “IEG NAS of Ukraine” (two issues per year), which is a professional publication and included in the list of the Higher Attestation Commission of Ukraine – Geological Sciences.
Since 2010 he has been publishing a scientific collection “Technogenic and ecological safety and civil protection”.
The Institute is a leading scientific organization in Ukraine on the problems of radioactive waste management and rehabilitation of contaminated areas. Coordination activities on these issues are carried out under the Comprehensive Program for Radioactive Waste Management.
The Institute is headed by Professor, Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences
Zabulonov Yuri Leonidovich.